Except for items below, the Alley-Oop Youth Basketball League will follow the National Federation of the State High School (NFHS) Basketball Rules.
- League Commissioner, referees, and scorekeepers have complete on site authority for all game situations including rules interpretation. Furthermore, unsportsmanlike behavior by anyone (player, coach, spectator) at any time during the game can result in removal from the gym and/or other Alley-Oop Youth activities at the discretion of the Alley-Oop Youth Basketball Commissioner.
- An adult, over 18 years of age, will be responsible for the conduct of the team and must be on the bench during the entire game.
2. League Rules
- Rosters - Team rosters are limited to league rostered players. In the event a game can not be played due to player availability, teams will be allowed to add a player to allow the game to be played. This rule is only in place to prevent a forfeit. This rule is only for teams that have four or five rostered players available to play (the team must have greater than 50% of players from the roster). Teams can not add players to have a seventh player. Players added are to be non-impact. All players not on the roster must be approved by league commissioner prior to playing. This is only allowed during regular season and not during playoffs.
- Coaches on bench - Only 1 registered coach and 1 assistant coach will be allowed on the bench. (Maximum 2 coaches)
The composition of a team is regulated by school grade. The highest school grade on the team dictates team placement. Only registered coach is allowed to stand. Assistant coach must sit the entire game.
- Final determination of eligibility shall be within the discretion of the Alley-Oop Youth Basketball Commissioner, decisions are final.
- Game Start Time - There is an automatic forfeit if a team does not arrive within ten (10) minutes after the scheduled start of a game.
- Game ball is to be provided by Alley-Oop Youth Basketball.
- Uniforms - No sagging of uniforms, all jersey tops must be tucked in. No Exceptions.
- Game Duration - All games will consist of two (2) twenty minute running halves with a one (1) minute half-time. The final two (2) minutes of the game will be stop time unless the point spread is ten (10) or more points.
- Three (3) point field goals are allowed for all divisions at all grade levels.
- Fouls and Technical Fouls - Players are ejected from the game on the fifth (5th) personal foul. Bonus fouls (1+1) apply on the seventh (7th) team foul for each half. On the tenth (10th) team foul per half, bonus foul shots are automatic two (2) shots. All Technical fouls are personal fouls!
- Ten (10) seconds back court rule applies at all grade levels.
- Timeouts – Each team will be allowed four (4) timeouts per game (2 - 1 minute (full) and 2 – 30 second (30)).
- Overtime – Overtime will be two (2) minutes. One (1) timeout will be given per team. Last minute will be regulation clock and stop on dead ball situations. If game requires second overtime then sudden death overtime is in effect. Sudden death overtime is first team to score. In playoffs there will be no sudden death overtime.
- Player participation rule penalty – Player participation rules are strictly enforced. Any violation results in forfeit.
- Late game arrivals – Players are allowed to participate at any point in which they arrive. Player participation rule will be in effect to the extent possible after the arrival.
- No jewelry or non basketball items are to be warn during game (i.e. rings, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, plastic/rubber bracelets etc.).
- Mercy rule – after a 25 point lead is established, teams that are up are no longer allowed to fast break and must keep their defense inside the 3 point line.
- Misconduct - Any parent or player that is found to exhibit gross misconduct will receive a warning. If the conduct is not corrected after receiving a warning then the offending person that repeated the infraction or a similar one will be suspended for the next 2 league games. If any other infraction is incurred after a 2 game suspension then the offender will be suspended for one calendar year. All judgement of misconduct and the resulting consequences will be made at the sole discretion of the Alley-Oop Commissioner.
3. Divisional Break Down
Each division will be formed based of current grade level (for summer league it will be grade as of April 1st of that year). Leagues will be Co-ed or boys and girls divisions will be developed if enough players/teams register
- Freshmen – 1st/2nd Grade
- Junior Varsity – 3rd/4th Grade
- Varsity – 5th/6th Grade
- Varsity Senior – 7th/8th Grade
4. Game Rules By Division
Freshmen – 1st/2nd Grade
- Player participation – Every player must play ten (10) minutes per half. Free substitutions, coach is responsible for adhering to the rules.
- Press – Press is allowed in the last five (5) minutes of the 2nd half and any overtime game (when applicable) if a team is not up by fifteen (15) points or more (team with lead can not press, team without lead can press). The remainder of the game half court press is allowed.
- Press Penalty / Delay of game – Before the last five (5) minutes of the 2nd half teams may not play back court defense or stop a fast break in the back court. If this occurs teams will be given 1 warning per game. After the first warning Technical fouls will be called.
- Ball size: 27.5
- Chance to score rule – Each player will shoot 1 free-throw at the start of the game and after halftime. All made baskets will count towards the score. This rule only applies during regular season.
- Free-throw line: Bottom of the circle and player can cross but not to take unfair advantage. This will be the sole judgment of the referee.
Junior Varsity – 3rd/4th Grade
- Player participation – Every player must play five (5) continuous minutes once they enter the game for first and second half. Every player must play eight (8) minutes per half. Free substitutions are in affect.
- Press – Press is allowed in the last 10 minutes of each half and any overtime game (when applicable) if a team is not up by fifteen (15) points or more (team with lead can not press, team without lead can press). The remainder of the game half court press is allowed.
- Press Penalty – Teams that press during situations were it is not allowed (ie 1st 10 minutes of half or if in last 10 minutes of a half and the team has a lead by more the fifteen points) will be given 1 warning per game. After the first warning Technical fouls will be called.
- Ball size: 28.5
- Free-throw line: regulation line but player can cross but not to take unfair advantage. This will be the sole judgment of the referee.
Varsity and Varsity Senior – 5th/6th & 7/th/8th Grade
- Player participation – Every player must play five (5) continuous minutes once they enter the game for first and second half. Free substitutions are in affect.
- Press – Press is allowed all game if a team is not up by fifteen (15) points or more (team with lead can not press, team without lead can press).
- Press Penalty – Once a 15 point lead is established teams may not play back court defense or stop a fast break in the back court. If this occurs teams will be given 1 warning per game. After the first warning Technical fouls will be called.
- Ball size: 29.5
- Free-throw line: regulation line